Six champions crowned on second day of Eastern Level 9 Junior Olympic Championships
- Junior 7: Individual | Team
- Junior 8: Individual | Team
- Senior 1: Individual | Team
- Senior 2: Individual | Team
- Senior 3: Individual | Team
- Senior 4: Individual | Team
ROCHESTER, N.Y., May 5, 2018 – Six champions were crowned on the second day of competition at the 2018 Women’s Junior Olympic Level 9 Eastern Championships in Rochester, N.Y., at Gordon Fieldhouse at the Rochester Institute of Technology. Along with the Junior Olympic Level 9 Western Championships, the Eastern Championships is the culmination of the Junior Olympic Level 9 competitive season.
The all-around medalists are listed below.
- Junior 7 – Gold(tie), Amani Herring, Windermere, Fla./Orlando Metro Gymnastics/ Maleah Crowley, Wheaton, Ill./Legacy Elite Gymnastics, 37.150; bronze, Charlie Behner, Milton, Ga./Gymnastix Training Center, 36.975.
- Junior 8 – Gold, Sophia Lomasky, Coconut Creek, Fla./American Twisters, 37.175; silver, Porsha Demby, Lumberton, N.J./Will-Moor School of Gymnastics, 37.000; bronze (tie) Kylie Hammonds, Jacksonville, Fla./Starlight Gymnastics/ Emily Rivera, Boca Raton, Fla./American Twisters, 36.950.
- Senior 1 – Gold, Gabrielle Clark, Daphne, Ala./Planet Gymnastics, 37.300; silver, Valentina Lorente Garcia, Virginia Beach, Va./Excalibur Gymnastics, 37.225; bronze, Brynn Vetrano, Norwell, Mass./South Shore Gymnastics, 37.125.
- Senior 2 – Gold, Ruthuja Nataraj, Wallingford, Conn./Connecticut Gymnastics Academy; silver (tie) Sophia Sokolowsky, Williamsburg, Va./World Class Gymnastics/ Marissa Rojas, Canton, Mich./Michigan Academy of Gymnastics, 37.300.
- Senior 3 – Gold, Lane Rodocker, Howell, Mich./Stars and Stripes Gymnastics, 37.625; silver (tie), Alana Laster, Cape Coral, Fla./Southern Starz, 37.400/Sierra Muns, Atlantic Coast Gymnastics, 37.400.
- Senior 4 – Gold, Mia Erdoes, New York, N.Y./NYC Elite Gymnastics, 37.650; silver, Madeline Kinsey, Schererville, Ind./Perfect Balance Training Center, 37.300; bronze, Natalia Kraus, Fairport, N.Y./RGA, 37.300.
The remaining competition schedule for the Eastern Championships is as follows.
- May 6 – Session 7 – Seniors 5 and 6 at 9:05 a.m., and Session 8 – Seniors 7 and 8 at 1:05 p.m.
Tickets are available onsite: training day (May 3), adults – $10, and children (5-12) and seniors (65+) – $5; one-day pass, adults – $25, children and seniors – $10. Children 4-and-under are free.
The Junior Olympic Eastern and Western Championships are two of USA Gymnastics’ championships events. Both championships feature the top seven gymnasts in the all-around in each age division from the respective regional championships and will have competition in 16 age divisions, which are determined by birth date.
The Monroe County Sports Commission, Visit Rochester and Rochester Gymnastics Academy are organizing the Eastern Championships, which features the top Level 9 gymnasts from USA Gymnastics Regions 5-8. The states that comprise each region are: Region 5 – Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio; Region 6 – Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont; Region 7 – Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia; and Region 8 – Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee.
To learn more about the Eastern Championships, please go to www.usagymeastern.com.